By Joseph'>http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Joseph_B_Wood">Joseph B Wood
Losing weight. Most Americans struggle with this. Some of us are lucky enough to have the body type or metabolism where maintaining our perfect weight isn't a problem. But the majority of us do struggle. Here's my personal story about how I lost weight and maintain it.
When we're young, we can eat and drink any kind of junk food and keep our slim bodies slim. But as we age, it becomes easier to gain weight and harder to lose and keep weight off. This isn't earth-shattering news.
All my life I've been quite active. I enjoyed many outdoor sports like biking, hiking, skiing, and backpacking. My chosen career, construction, also provided me 40 hours of physical activity every week, as well. Life was great! I could eat whatever I wanted and as much as I wanted. And believe me, I LOVE to eat!
Then as I began to get a few years on me and I went from the physical aspect of construction to more of the managerial side of it, I started to put on the pounds. Once I hit 40, I noticed it becoming harder to keep my weight down. It was then that the reality of being overweight hit me.
One of the first real diets I tried was the Atkin's Diet. My parents had used it with great success so I thought I'd give it a whirl. It's kind of a weird diet in that you can eat all the meat you want, cream cheese, butter, and any fat-ridden foods were okay. Protein was the main goal, but zero or close to zero carbohydrates was the main goal. How well did it work?
It worked magically! I was losing 2-3 pounds every day! It was awesome! In the first month I lost an unbelievable 25 pounds! "This is really cool", I thought. Then it happened...
As was eating lunch one day after that stupendous weight loss stunt, my stomach started to ache. I just thought it was some kind of indigestion or something. But as the evening progressed my stomach pain increased. By 11:00pm I was in such excruciating pain, I had my wife drive me to the hospital ER!
After probing and poking me (and finally giving me something to dull the pain!) the doctor said I may have had a gall stone! No wonder I felt like I was dying! A couple days later, an ultrasound confirmed that I did have a gall stone. Later on a weight loss website, I read that losing weight too quickly can cause gall stones!
That was the last time I did that! From then on I heeded the nutritionists advice of losing only a pound a week. It's slower but much better for your body and you'll reduce your chances of having gall stones!
Since then I've found a much better and more balance diet for losing weight. And I've learned that exercise is important, too.
I've created a website called http://www.blogger.com/%3Ca%20href= Loss Washington where anyone can learn more about weight loss and how to safely lose weight and keep it off indefinitely. You can visit my website at http://weightlosswashington.net/. It's loaded with great weight loss ideas and interesting articles.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Joseph_B_Wood
http://EzineArticles.com/?My-Personal-Struggle-With-Weight-Loss&id=6973781
No comments:
Post a Comment